What I Liked:
- Character-wise and action-wise, I loved the finale. While there were things about the finale (and season six as a whole) I had issues with, when Jack’s eye closed at the end, I wasn’t disappointed and I didn’t say, “What the fuck? What about (insert unanswered question)?” I was just happy. Although I may have been happy that I don’t have to do this (as if I ever did).
- The season went a long way in redeeming Jack as a character and giving Matthew Fox a lot of great moments. You could almost say the same for Kate and Evangeline Lilly except…well…I still wouldn’t have been mad if she died. I can’t deny that her scenes were among the best this episode (Delivering Aaron while remembering the island, saving Jack for once, her LA X reunion with Jack). But the MVP for this episode…
- …was Jorge Garcia. From the look on his face when he saw Charlie in LA X to his reaction to Jack making him the protector of the island, no one on this show has grown more as an actor than Garcia. He’s a long way from just saying “Dude“
- The reunion/realizations in LA X were handled well especially Jin/Sun/ and Sawyer/Juliet. Considering Sawyer/Juliet reunion, once we got a general idea what was going on in LA X, was the one everyone was waiting for, I was surprised it didn’t let me down.
- I enjoyed all of the island action (except for some of the Glowing Well stuff) especially the final confrontation between Jack and notLocke
- Lapidus and Alpert live! No matter how improbable Lapidus’ survival was (he took a bigger blow -TWSS – than Sawyer), it was great to see “Chesty” floating in the water and ultimately getting people off the island
- The return of Rose, Bernard and Vincent. I figured it was them who freed Desmond from the well and I’m glad they lived out their lives the way they wanted, not getting involved.
- The last image of the series was fitting and I’m glad Vincent showed up so Jack didn’t die alone.
What I Didn’t Like:
- I’m not in love with the LA X = purgatory concept. While it was great to have goodbyes to some of the characters and, more importantly, some of the relationships we grew to love over the years, I was still a little disappointed. I tried to avoid *wanting* something to be the way I had imagined but I wanted the sideways world to tie in directly into the Island world. Now knowing “what happened, happened,” I wish we had spent more of season six on the island.
- While I was still more entertained than not, now that it’s over, it’s safe to say that season six was kind of a mess. So many abandoned threads/plot holes, I could strain pasta with them. Cuse and Lindelof may have known what the ending was going to be but they definitely didn’t know how to get there.
- When Jacob described the island as a cork to Richard in “Ab Aeterno,” I thought that was a metaphor. I didn’t know there was an actual cork. Seriously?
- Really? No Michael and Walt in LA X? Christian’s “there is no ‘when’” explanation gave the producers a total out to deal with older, taller Walt. I better find an interview saying that Harold Perrineau and Malcolm David Kelley didn’t want to or were unavailable to appear in the finale.
- Jack’s plan to help notLocke use Desmond to destroy the island: The dumbest Jack idea EVER
- Ben’s lack of a plan. So was he really siding with notLocke for control of the island or was he just playing along. Considering his penultimate turn, it was kind of annoying he was just following whomever wherever.
- Really? Hurley chose sinking with the island over climbing down a ladder? They could have found a better motivation to keep Hurley around.
- Shannon was Sayid’s true love? Really?
Lines of the Night (LA X quotes in italics):
- “Christian Shephard? Seriously?” - Kate
- “Well, Doc, how about you come down off the mountain top and tell us what the hell the burning bush had to say for itself.” – Sawyer to Jack
- “Jacob didn’t say anything to me about Desmond.”
“Doesn’t sound like he said anything about anything.”
“That’s kind of true, dude, he’s worse than Yoda.” – Jack, Sawyer and Hurley
- “I’d ask you along, but that would take all the fun out of me telling you can’t come.”
“I guess I’ll just have to resist the urge to follow you anyway” – Sawyer and Kate
- “When you said you were going to destroy the island, I thought you were speaking figuratively.” – Ben
- “I think there was a dog here.” – notLocke
- “So, Rose, tell me, how long have the two of you been living here?”
“Oh, we built this place in ’75 and lived here a couple of years and then the sky lit up again, so God only knows where in the hell we are now. So, Desmond, I don’t mean to be rude, but after you eat, I’m going to ask you to move on. We broke our rule with you.”
“What rule was that?”
“We don’t get involved. Whatever got you tossed inside a well, that’s the kind of drama Bernard and I don’t want to have anything to do with.” – Desmond and Rose
- “Do you have any idea where I’m taking you, Desmond?”
“Nope, but I assume it’s a place with a very bright light.”
“What makes you say that?”
“Oh, just a hunch.” – notLocke and Desmond
“You thought it’d be a good idea to talk to the black smoke. He responded by throwing you into the damn jungle.” – Richard and Miles
- “In case you haven’t noticed, I’m a pilot.” – Lapidus
“So it’s you.”
“Yeah, it’s me.”
“Jacob being who he is, I expected to be a little more surprised. You’re sort of the obvious choice, don’t you think?” – notLocke and Jack
- “This doesn’t matter, you know.”
“Him destroying the island, you destroying him. It doesn’t matter. You’re going to lower me into that light and I’m going to go somewhere else. A place where we can be with the ones that we love and not have to ever think about this damn island again. And you know the best part about it Jack? You’re in this place. You know, we sat next to each other on Oceanic Flight 815. It never crashed. We spoke to each other. You seemed happy. You know, maybe I can find a way to bring you there too.”
“Desmond, I tried that once. There are no shortcuts, no do-overs. What happened, happened. Trust me, I know. All of this matters.” – Desmond and Jack
- “I think you’re a good guy, Sayid. I know a lot of people have told you that you’re not. Maybe you’ve heard it so many times you started to believe in it. But you can’t let other people tell you who you are, dude. You have to decide that for yourself.” – Hurley
- “This remind you of anything, Jack?”
“Desmond going down into the ground. If there was a button down there to push, we could fight about whether or not to push it. It’d be just like old times.”
“You’re not John Locke. You disrespect his memory by wearing his face, but you’re nothing like him. Turns out he was right about most everything. I just wish I would have told him that when he was still alive.”
- “He wasn’t right about anything, Jack, and when this island drops into the ocean and you drop with it, you’re finally going to realize that.”
“Well, we’ll just have to see which one of us is right, then.” – notLocke and Jack
- “I saved you a bullet!” – Kate to notLocke after shooting him
- “I hope that somebody does for you what you just did for me.” – Locke to Jack
- “I don’t believe in a lot of things but I do believe in duct tape.” – Miles
- “Kiss me, James.”
“You got it, Blondie.” – Juliet and Sawyer
- “You’re not supposed to die, the island needs you!
“Hurley, it needs you.”
“It needs to be you, Hugo.”
“It’s supposed to be you.”
“It was only supposed to be me so I could do this. But if someone has to take care of the island, if someone has to protect it, then it should be you. I believe in you.”
“Alright, I’ll take it, but it’s only temporary. As soon as you get that light back on, I’m pulling you up and I’m giving it right back to you, deal?”
“Deal.” – Hurley and Jack
- “I’m still here. You were right, Jack.”
“Well, there’s a first time for everything.” – Desmond and Jack
- “Desmond, you’ve done enough. You want to do something? Go home and be with your wife and son.”
“What about you, Jack?”
“I’ll see you in another life, brother.” – Jack and Desmond
- “I’m very sorry for what I did to you, John. I was selfish, jealous. I wanted everything you had.”
“What did I have?”
“You were special, John, but I wasn’t.”
“Well, if it helps, Ben, I forgive you.”
“Thank you, John. That does help. It matters more than I can say.”
“What are you going to do now?”
“I have some things I still need to work out. Think I’ll stay here a while.” – Ben and Locke
- “It’s my job now. What the hell am I supposed to do?”
“I think you do what you do best, take care of people. You can start by helping Desmond get home.”
“But how? People can’t leave the island.”
“That’s how Jacob ran things. Maybe there’s another way. A better way.”
“Will you help me?”
“I could really use someone with, like, experience. For a little while.”
“Will you help me, Ben?”
“I’d be honored.”
“Cool.” – Hurley and Ben
- “You know, you were a real good number two.”
“And you were are great number one, Hugo.” – Hurley and Ben
- “Where are we, Dad?”
“Well this is a place that you all made together so that you could find one another. The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people. That’s why all of them are here. Nobody does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them and they all needed you.”
“To remember, and to let go.” - Jack and Christian
Questions: (Is there a point?)
- Why was Desmond ultimately aware of the purgatory while living in real-time? Did he “kinda” die when Widmore tested his ability to absorb electromagnetic energy?
- Why was notLocke and Richard made mortal after Desmond pulled the cork?
- Why was Jack bleeding in purgatory?
- How did Jack end up outside the cave at the end?
- Was the ceremony to make someone protector of the island as simple as giving them some water? Jacob must feel really dumb for making people learn all that Latin.
- How did they create this purgatory where they would work through issues that plagued them in real life? Who creates a purgatory where you get shot (Sun) or your family gets beat up and you have to shoot and kill other people (Sayid)?
- Why was Penny in the purgatory when she never stepped foot on the island yet Charlotte and Daniel were absent?
- What will I blog about now? Suggestions?