I didn’t realize it until it was over but Skyfall was the first real James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig. Casino Royale always felt like a Jason Bourne movie with a British guy in a nice suit and the less said about of Solace, the better. Skyfall was half reboot/half course correction for the Bond franchise.
- Marvel released the first trailer for Iron Man 3 It’s directed by one of my favorites, Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang also starring Robert Downey, Jr.). I have no idea what this story is about (and Ben Kingsley as Mandarin makes me cringe racially) but I’m there opening weekend.
- The red-band trailer for the Evil Dead remake also came out this week. They seem to be going for a straight gorefest without any of the humor of Sam Raimi’s cult classic but it looks interesteing. Warning: the trailer is VERY gory. (io9)
- Talking about remakes, Spike Lee’s remake of Oldboy finally has a release date (Splash Page)
- What happens when you combine Breaking Bad with Taylor Swift? “Breaking Swift”, of course. Warning: contains spoilers for season five. (io9)
- It looks like Wanted 2 is going to happen. (Bleeding Cool)
- It also looks like Crossbones might be one of the villains in Captain America: The Winter Solider. (Latino Review)
- Could Idris Elba be the next James Bond whenever Daniel Craig decides to hang up his Walther PPK? (Shadow and Act)
- Ming-Na Wen will star in Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. TV pilot. (Deadline Hollywood)
- Lana Wachowski, co-creator of The Matrix, gave an amazing speech about her transgender experience. (Jezebel)
- Apparently the upcoming Wolverine film won’t be a prequel as previously thought. (Splash Page)
- Matthew Vaughn has dropped out of directing X-Men: Days of Future Past. Could Bryan Singer (X-Men, X2: X-Men United) take his spot? (Splash Page)
- Because no one demanded it, Arnold Schwarzenegger is returning to the role…of Conan the Barbarian. (Vulture)
Before you ask, no I haven’t read any of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium series nor have I seen any of the Swedish adaptations starring Noomi Rapace.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was a pretty standard whodunit with two exceptions: some graphic scenes/imagery and the performance of Rooney Mara as cyber heroine Lizbeth Salander. Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Daniel Craig) is hired by Henrik Vanger (Christopher Plummer) to help solve the disapperance of his favorite niece Harriet 36 years earlier. Blomkvist later hires Salander, who went above and beyond the call of duty in her background check of him, to assist him in solving the mystery.