The story of The Proust Questionnaire intrigued me so I’m going to try to answer the Age 20 questions as honestly as possible
1. What is your most marked characteristic?
2. What quality do you most like in a man?
3. What quality do you most like in a woman?
4. What do you value most in your friends?
5. What is your principal defect?
Easily content with a situation, positive or negative
6. What is your favorite occupation?
Being a friend
7. What is your dream of happiness?
Having more options than you know what to do with.
8. What to your mind would be the greatest misfortune?
Not having any good options
9. What would you like to be?
Living my dream of happiness
10. In what country would you like to live?
This country is good enough
11. What is your favorite color?
12. What is your favorite flower?
Quoting Proust, “Hers – but apart from that, all”
13. What is your favorite bird?
14. Who are your favorite prose writers?
Nick Hornby, Neil Gaiman, Chuck Palahniuk
15. Who are your favorite poets?
Khalil Gibran is the only one who comes to mind
16. Who are your favorite fictional heroes?
Batman, Hamlet, Lloyd Dobler
17. Who are your favorite fictional heroines?
I can’t think of any
18. Who are your favorite composers?
I don’t have any
19. Who are your favorite painters?
Salvador Dalí, René Magritte
20. Who are your heroes in real life?
Martin Luthor King, Jr., Malcolm X, Kevin Smith
21. Who are your favorite heroines of history?
Joan of Arc, Harriet Tubman, Elizabeth I of England
22. What are your favorite names?
I’m not saying because if I have children, I’d like to use them and I don’t want to give anyone reading this with a better shot at having children than me stealing them
23. What do you most dislike?
24. What historical figures do you most despise?
Hitler seems like an easy answer
25. What event in military history do you most admire?
The Eastern Front (Third Reich vs. Soviet Union in World War II)
26. What reform do you most admire?
I don’t know how to answer this (and neither did Proust)
27. What natural gift would you most like to possess?
28. How would you like to die?
29. What is your present state of mind?
I don’t know if I’m depressed or bored
30. To what faults do you feel most indulgent?
The ones that I think no one notices
31. What is your motto?
I don’t have one.