What I Liked
- As pointed out by Slate, everything you need to know about the current season of Lost is shown in the opening minutes of the season premiere. That said, I think this has to be my favorite opening sequence in terms of mindfrak.
- It’s clear that Daniel Faraday and Desmond are going to have huge roles this season in terms of the sci-fi aspect of this season and that’s awesome because they are two of my three favorite characters (Ben Linus being the third)
- The flashback/flashforwards are over. I’m glad because both storytelling devices had run their course.
- The show has finally tipped heavily towards the sci-fi end of the balancing act it has with it’s character study aspect of the show
- We’ve hit the ground running.
What I Didn’t Like
- I loved everything about this episode although the island stuff is infinitely more interesting than the “Let’s Get The Band Back Together” off the island stuff.
Lines of the Night:
- Sawyer nicknames: Ginger (Charlotte), Danny Boy (Daniel), Frogurt (Neil)
- “Well, what goes around comes around.” – Alpert, regarding Locke getting shot by Ethan
- “Maybe if you ate more comfort food, you wouldn’t have to go around shooting people.” – Hurley after Sayid refused a french fry
- “It’s a compass.” “What’s it do?” “It points north, John.” – Alpert & Locke regarding the compass pictured up top.
What We Learned
- A person wakes up to an alarm clock set for 8:15 AM (Numbers alert).
- It’s Dr. Pierre Chang and he’s filming the orientation video for The Arrow Station (the one the tallies were in)
- There is an accident during some drilling. The drill melted and one of the workers has a serious nose bleed
- They are near the Frozen Wheel
- The energy contained there can manipulate time but you can’t break the rules.
- If that energy is ever released, then “God help us all”
- Daniel Faraday is there!
- After the flash, the people on the beach, the people in Faraday’s boat and Locke moved back to a point in time before Oceanic 815 crashed.
- Faraday can’t explain it to a simpleton like Sawyer but a quick bitchslap makes him give it a try: The island is moving through different points in time.
- Locke witness the Yemi’s plane crash into the trees.
- As Locke’s climbing up to investigate, he’s shot in the leg by Ethan
- Ethan doesn’t know who he is.
- They flashforward to 2005 (or close to it)
- Miles says it took Widmore 20 years to find the island
- Daniel’s journal has everything he knows about the Dharma Initiative
- Batmanuel finds Locke and tends to his bullet wound. When asked how he knew Locke was shot, Alpert says Locke told him.
- Alpert tells Locke the next time he sees him, Alpert won’t remember Locke. So he gives him a compass to hand to Alpert next time they meet.
- Alpert also tells him that he has to bring everyone back to the island and to do that, he’ll have to die.
- Sawyer tries to go to the back door of the Hatch to get Desmond to open up.
- Faraday tells him that Desmond won’t open the door because you can’t change the past. Anything that hasn’t happened in the timestream won’t.
- Charlotte gets a nosebleed like Desmond and Minkowski in “The Constant”
- Faraday realizes that Desmond is special and knocks on the Hatch door and Desmond opens up.
- Faraday tells him that he has to go to Oxford and find Daniel’s mother.
- They flash away before Daniel can tell Desmond her name
- Jack, Ben and Bernie leave the funeral
- Jack takes off shaves that ridiculous beard
- Locke never told Jack what happened on the island after they left
- Two attorneys come to Kate’s door with a subpoena for a blood sample from her and Aaron.
- Apparently they don’t know Kate (or maybe they do) because she promptly packs her shit and takes Aaron on the road
- Sun is detained at the airport on the way to Los Angeles by Charles Widmore
- Her reason for suggestion of a partnership with Charles Widmore: she wants to kill Benjamin Linus (get in line)
- Hurley is suspect for the murder of the guy Sayid shot outside the mental hospital (which is ridiculous because where would a mental patient have access to a gun)
- Sayid is no longer working for Ben
- Hurley and Sayid go one of Sayid’s safe houses (a motel, really?) but men are waiting for him
- Sayid kills all three (each in badass fashion) but not before taking to tranquilizer darts)
- Hurley is photographed outside of the motel with a gun in hand
- Desmond wakes up on a boat with Penny thinking about the island and Oxford.
- At first, he thinks it’s a dream but he realizes it’s a memory
- He changes course on the boat to head to Oxford
- Did Daniel Faraday work for the Dharma Initiative or did he sneak onto the facility when the group flashed back to this time in a future episode?
- What are the rules that Dr. Chang & Faraday keep mentioning regarding time travel?
- Is the island moving through time and space or only them?
- Why is Juliet moving with the 815ers and freighter crew and not with The Others?
- Who is the client who ordered the blood samples from Kate and Aaron?
- Why isn’t Sayid working for Ben anymore?
- Why does Sun want to kill Ben (specifically. Generally, everyone wants to kill Ben)?
- Who sent the men to kill Sayid and Hurley?
- What happened the first time Widmore found the island 20 years ago?
- Did Alpert give Locke the same compass from the test he give him as a child (“Cabin Fever”) ?
- Why do only the Oceanic Six need to return to the island? What about Walt? Or Jin? Or any of the people who died on the freighter?
- Since Jacob told Locke to move the island, is this what he wanted to happen?
- How come Charlotte has gotten the sickness?
- When are Sawyer and Miles finally going to have a snark-off?
- Why don’t the “rules” apply to Desmond?
- Who is Daniel’s mother?