What I Liked:
- Another amazing award-worthy performance from Michael Emerson. I really hope someone picks up the show Terry O’ Quinn is shopping with the two of them.
- This may have been my favorite flash-sideway so far. I’m starting to agree with the notion (floated about by Alan Sepinwall and others) that the flashsideways are epilogues for the characters after everything is said and done.
- I loved Leslie Arzt in the flashsideways
- William Atherton was perfectly cast as Principal Reynolds. It was reminiscent of his many dickish roles in the 80’s
- In Ben’s speech to Ilana about his killing Jacob, it finally made sense why Ben would kill Jacob and it raises the question of what would you do if you were able to confront your God with your grievances and he appeared not to give a shit, what would you do?
- I loved the call back to Nikki and Paulo’s deaths and diamonds. I hope Miles gets off the island with them.
- I also am starting to like Jack who has turned into season one Locke (although look where that got him in the end)
- Team Jacob has finally come together
- Widmore is back!
What I Didn’t Like:
- With only nine episodes left, it would be nice to know what the payoff is going to be with the flashsideways. I’m a pretty patient Lost fan but my concern is that we’ll find out and I’ll have to go back and rewatch all of them to see how well it worked in the end.
Lines of the Night:
- “That’s why I signed up for that damn Dharma Initiative and took you to the island. They were decent people. Smarter than I’ll ever be. Imagine how different our lives would have been if we’d have stayed…Who knows what you would’ve become?” – Roger Linus
- “Because, your last name is Kwon, so is his, and I don’t know whether I’m supposed to protect you, him, or both of you.”
“Protect us. What are you talking about?”
“You’re candidates, to replace Jacob.”
“Replace him? To do what?”
“If you’re the one selected, I imagine you’ll find out.” – Ilana and Sun
- “Can you believe it? Imagine how different my life would be had that alarm gone off.”
“How different would it have been? The island still got you in the end, didn’t it?” – Lapidus and Ben
- “Why would I need your money when there are a couple of jabonies under there named Nikki and Paulo who got buried alive with $8 million in diamonds on top of them.” – Miles
- “You’re one of the brightest students I’ve ever had. I don’t worry about your future at all.” – LA X Ben to Alex
- “You know, you really had me fooled with that sweater vest. Linus, you’re a real killer.” – LA X Arzt
- “Do not open that, there’s dynamite in there. It’s mega unstable.”
“So did Dr. Arzt and I was wiping him out of my shirt two days later.” – Hurley and Richard
- “I devoted my life, longer than you can possibly imagine, in service of a man who told me that everything was happening for a reason. That he had a plan. A plan that I was a part of and when the time was right that he’d share it with me and now that man’s gone. So, why do I want die? I just found out my entire life had no purpose. Now, if I light this myself, it won’t work, but you can light it for me, Jack. I made the fuse long enough so you’ll have time to get out.” – Richard to Jack about why he wants to die
- “If you change your mind, I’ll be like a mile away.” – Hurley to Jack as he plays dynamite chicken with Richard
- “I just came from a lighthouse where my name was etched in wood on a dial that turned a mirror that somehow reflected the image of the house where I grew up. Jacob’s lighthouse. He got Hurley to bring me out there because he wanted me to see what was reflected in that mirror. For some reason, he wanted me to know that he had been watching me ever since I was a kid.”
“I have no idea why, but I’m willing to bet you that if Jacob went to that trouble, that if he brought me to the island for a reason, that it’s not to blow up sitting here with you right now.” – Jack and Richard about why Jack thinks the dynamite won’t ignite
- “I watched my daughter, Alex, die in front of me and it was my fault. I had a chance to save her, but I chose the island over her. All in the name of Jacob. I sacrificed everything for him. And he didn’t even care. Yeah, I stabbed him. I was so angry, confused. I was terrified that I was about to lose the only thing that had ever mattered to me. But the thing that really mattered was already gone. I’m sorry that I killed Jacob. I am. And I do not expect you to forgive me, because I can never forgive myself.” – Ben to Ilana
- How old was Ben when him and his father left the island?
- How did Danielle and Alex get off the island? Were they even on the island?
- Was the East India Trading Company ship in the book Alex and Ben were studying from the Black Rock?
- How did Ben get out of the temple?
- How long have Ilana and Jacob been in contact?
- If Richard is indeed from The Black Rock, was he a slave or one of the sailors?
- Is there anyone else from The Black Rock on the island? (I don’t recall seeing many black Others on the island)
- Why was Richard given Jacob’s “gift”?
- If Jacob is dead, what blew out the dynamite?
- Is suicide the only play in Jack’s handbook now?
- How did Miles get to Nikki and Paulo’s diamonds so fast?
- How did Team notLocke get to the Hydra Island?
- How did Widmore finally find the island?
- Since Jacob was alluding to Widmore coming to the island, is it safe to assume that he’s on Team Jacob?