What I Liked:
- I don’t know if I’d call this the best episode ever but when the list is eventually made of greatest episodes of Lost ever, “Ab Aeterno” will be near the top.
- For all intents and purposes, we now know what the island is: a prison for whatever the Man in Black is. The only reason people keep ending up there is Jacob’s attempts to prove to the Man in Black that when given a choice, man will choose good over evil (and, of course, the Man in Black cheats)
- I loved that the episode played with the most popular theory about the island: that’s its inhabitants were already dead and they were in some sort of purgatory or hell.
- Nestor Carbonell gave an amazing Emmy-worthy performance as Ricardus. You have to take into account that, up to this point, Richard had only a few lines here and there. He would show up, say something cryptic and then go away for three or four episodes. He basically created his character with nothing to build from and he knocked out park. I’m not saying that I didn’t think Carbonell had it in him but before Lost, I only knew him as Batmanuel in the live version of The Tick.
- I will give the writers/producers this: they know how to get you emotionally invested in characters in a short period of time.
- Titus Welliver return as the Man in Black. While I love Terry O’ Quinn playing notLocke, I hope we get to see him again.
- The parallel between MIB telling Richard how to kill Jacob and Dogen telling Sayid how to kill notLocke
- I love the emergence of Hurley as a major player in the going ons of the island. In a way, he’s the new Richard
What I Didn’t Like:
- To quote Erwin, Jacob’s “a bit of a dick”
- I would have liked to see some of Richard’s time with the Others
Lines of the Night:
- “Locke is dead”
“If it’s any consolation, it’s not exactly Locke.” – Jack and Ben
- “Of course I’ll help. I want to be free too, as luck would have it.” – MIB to Ricardus in the Black Rock
- “I’m afraid there’s only one way to escape from hell. You’re going to have to kill the devil.” – MIB to Ricardus
- “You’re not the only one who’s lost something, my friend. The devil betrayed me. He took my body. My humanity.” – MIB
- “Think of this wine as what you keep calling ‘Hell’. There’s many other names for it too, malevolence, evil, darkness. And here it is, swirling around in the bottle, unable to get out. Because if it did, it would spread. The cork is this island. And it’s the only thing keeping the darkness where it belongs. That man who sent you to kill me believes that every man is corruptible because it is in their very nature to sin. I bring people here to prove him wrong. And once they get here, their past doesn’t matter.” – Jacob explaining the island
- “Before you brought my ship, there were others?”
“What happened to them?”
“They’re all dead.”
“But you brought them here. Why didn’t you help them?”
“Because I wanted them to help themselves. To know the difference between right and wrong without me having to tell them. It’s all meaningless if I have to force them to do anything. Why should I have to step in and help them?” – Ricardus and Jacob
- “Do you want a job?”
“What? A job? Doing what?”
“Well, if I don’t want to step in, maybe you can do it for me. You can be my representative and intermediary between me and the people I bring to the island.”
“What will I get in return?”
“You tell me.”
“I want my wife back.”
“Can’t do that.”
“Can you absolve me of my sins so I don’t go to hell?”
“Can’t do that either.”
“Then I never want to die. I want to live forever.”
“Now that, I can do.” – Jacob and Ricardus
- “She says your English is awesome.” – Hurley telling Richard what Isabella’s ghost is saying
- “It wasn’t your fault I died, Ricardo. As much as you wanted to save me, it was my time. You’ve suffered enough, Ricardo.”
“I miss you. I would do anything for us to be together again.”
“My love, we are already together.” – Ghost Isabella and Richard
- “She kind of said one more thing. Something you have to do.”
“She said you have to stop the Man in Black. You have to stop him from leaving the island. Because if you don’t, we all go to hell.” – Hurley and Richard
- “Because I want to leave. Just let me leave, Jacob.”
“As long as I’m alive, you’re not going anywhere.”
“Well, then, now you know why I want to kill you. I will kill you, Jacob.”
“Even if you do, somebody else will take my place.”
“Well, then, I’ll kill them, too.” – MIB and Jacob
1867 (or so)
- Why did MIB kill the crew of the Black Rock but not Ricardus?
- What was the significance of the butterfly that flew into the Black Rock?
- Is the Titus Welliver version of Smokey his actual human appearance or is that just another dead person whose form he’s taken?
- Where did the dagger originate from?
- Why can you not kill MIB or Jacob after they’ve spoken to you?
- What’s the meaning of the white stone Jacob has Ricardus give MIB?
- How did the other people Jacob had come to the island die?
- Has Jacob always been the guardian of the island?
- How did Ilana get hurt?
- When was the first time Ilana met Jacob?
- Since Jacob is all about non-involvement, what changed that he had to a) select candidates to replace him and b) seek out Ilana to protect them?
- How was Richard able to find a necklace he buried over 150 years ago so easily? It’s an island. There should have been grass or trees there by now
- Why did Isabella finally try to contact Richard or was there no way without Hurley?
- How many other ghosts are on the island that Hurley can talk to?