What I Liked:
- For those keeping score, there has only been one bad Desmond episode (“Catch 22”). When there’s an episode that focuses on Desmond, you’re guaranteed two things: 1) One of the sci-fi aspects of the season come into focus and 2) Henry Ian Cusick will give a great performance. Check and check. Did you see the way his upper lip quivered when Widmore told him he was back on the island.
- After Desmond, my second favorite non-815er is Daniel Faraday (now Daniel Widmore) so I was glad to see him being his twitchy self
- I’m not even going to try to figure out what the flash sideways are (and I don’t think we’re supposed to really know) but we know what they aren’t: an epilogue and, more importantly, reality
- When Desmond got the flash of Charlie’s “Not Penny’s Boat,” I practically cheered out “Finally!”
- I loved all the little callbacks: the MacCutcheon scotch, Penny running the tour de stade this time, the pier where Desmond got shot, Eloise saying “What happened, happened”, the return of George Minkowski
What I Didn’t Like:
- I wish we could have gotten to the reveal that the flash sideways weren’t reality a little sooner but it’s a nitpick
Lines of the Night:
- “The island isn’t done with you yet.” – Widmore to Desmond
- “I hate to resort to forcing this on you, Desmond, but once it’s over, I’m going to ask you to make a sacrifice. And I hope, for all our sakes, that you’ll help me.”
“Sacrifice? What the bloody hell do you know about sacrifice?”
“My son died here for the sake of this island. Your wife, my own daughter, hates me, and I’ve never even met my grandson. But if you won’t help me, Desmond, all of this will be for nothing. Penny, your son, and everyone else, gone forever.” – Widmore and Desmond
- “That man is the only person I’m aware of in the world who has survived a catastrophic electromagnetic event. I need to know that he can do it again, or we all die.” – Widmore to Jin
- “I bet it’s a boy.” – LA X Desmond to Claire at the baggage claim
- “Have you ever been in love?”
“Thousands of times.”
“That’s not what I’m talking about. I’m talking about spectacular, consciousness altering love. Do you know what that looks like?”
“I wasn’t aware that love looked like anything.” – LA X Charlie and Desmond
- “There was this woman two rows in front of me in handcuffs, sitting with a cop. He looked at me. He knew I was holding. If I didn’t take action, I’d be caught. So I got up and went to the lav, proceeded to eliminate the evidence by swallowing my stash. And at that exact moment, we hit turbulence and I choked. The entire bag of heroin was stuck in my throat. Uh, it’s over. Everything starts to go dark. I’m slipping into the abyss and then, I see her.”
“A woman. Blond. Rapturously beautiful. And I know her. We’re together. It’s like we’ve always been and always will be. Feeling this love, and just as I’m about to be engulfed by it,” he snaps his fingers, “I open my eyes and this sodding idiot is standing there, asking me if I’m okay. But I saw it. Just for a moment I saw what it looked like.”
“Well that’s just poetry, brother. You should write a song about that.” – LA X Charlie and Desmond
- “You think I’m going to play a rock concert after this? This doesn’t matter. None of this matters. All that matters is that we felt it. You want to try to stop me? Good luck.” He walks away and Desmond asks where he’s going. Charlie says, “If I were you, I’d stop worrying about me and start looking for Penny.” – LA X Charlie to Desmond
- “Stop talking, Hume. I’ve heard what you’ve had to say, now you listen to me. I want you to stop.”
“Stop? Stop what?”
“Someone has clearly affected the way you see things. This is a serious problem. This is, in fact, a violation. So, whatever you’re doing, whatever it is you think you’re looking for, you need to stop looking for it.”
“Do you know what I’m looking for, Mrs. Widmore?”
“I don’t know why you’re looking for anything. You have the perfect life. On top of it, you’ve managed to attain the thing you wanted more than anything, my husband’s approval.”
“How do you know what I want?”
“Because, I bloody do!”
“I need to see that list or you need to tell me why I can’t.”
“Because you’re not ready yet, Desmond.” – LA X Eloise and Desmond
- “Do you believe in love at first sight, Mr. Hume?”
“The first time I saw her, I was walking through this museum a few weeks ago. She works there, she was on her lunch break. She was eating a chocolate bar. She has these incredible blue, blue eyes, red hair, and as soon as I saw her, right in that moment, it was like I was already in love with her, and that’s when things got weird.” – LA X Daniel and Desmond
- “Imagine something terrible is about to happen, something catastrophic, and the only way to stop it from happening is by releasing a huge amount of energy. Like setting off a nuclear bomb.”
“You want to set off a nuclear bomb?”
“Just listen. What if this, all this, what if this wasn’t supposed to be our life? What if we had some other life and for some reason we changed things? I don’t want to set off a nuclear bomb, Mr. Hume, I think I already did.” – LA X Daniel and Desmond
- “I’m really sorry we had to do this to you, Desmond. But as I told you, your talent is vital to our mission. So if you just let me explain.”
“It’s alright, I understand.”
“I understand. You told me you brought me to the island to do something important.”
“When do we start?” – Widmore and Desmond
- “What happened to you?”
“What do you mean?”
“What I mean is, twenty minutes ago you were beating the crap out of Widmore with an IV stand, and now you’re Mr. Cooperative.”
“A lot can happen in twenty minutes.” – Zoe and Desmond
- “Actually, there is one thing, George. Can you get me the manifest from my flight from Sydney? Just the names of the passengers?”
“Sure I can. Mind if I ask you what you need it for?”
“I just need to show them something.” – LA X Desmond and George
- Why is Eloise also aware in all timelines (even without Daniel’s notebook)?
- What did Eloise mean when she told Desmond, “This is, in fact, a violation”?
- Who is Penny’s mother?
- If “love is the constant” (as I am understanding it) that helps people realize that the flash sideway isn’t necessarily real, why haven’t Jin and Sun noticed since they are each other’s love?
- How did Desmond survive the initial electromagnetic event?
- How does Widmore know all this is happening?
- What does Desmond think Widmore is asking him to do?
- Why did Desmond go with Sayid after agreeing to help Widmore?