What I Liked:
- Almost all of the performances were great with the standouts being Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Mickey Rourke as Ivan Vanko.
- Justin Theroux’s script gave Downey and Sam Rockwell (Justin Hammer) some great lines
- No offense to Terence Howard but Don Cheadle was an improvement as James “Rhodey” Rhodes. Howard tends to be more passive so I really couldn’t see him as War Machine
- The two action set pieces were really great and looked awesome on the huge IMAX screen
- Seeing DJ AM’s scene still in the movie (R.I.P.)
- The teaser after the credits
What I Didn’t Like:
- Where the f*ck was Iron Man? The movie was a shade over two hours and Iron Man only shows up for about 30 minutes of it? Listen, I love RDJ as Tony Stark. I could listen to him all day but the movie isn’t called Stark, it’s called Iron Man. I want to see Iron Man, damnit. It was pretty much a waste to see it on IMAX because there were only two IMAX worthy scenes.
- I wonder if Gwyneth Paltrow came to the set every day and asked director Jon Favreau, “I’m not trying to complain here but all I do in this movie is…well…complain”
- I didn’t like the storyline of Tony dying from palladium poisoning from his arc reactor. It really didn’t bring anything to the movie and just served to keep Iron Man on the sidelines.
- The last fight between Whiplash, Iron Man and War Machine was anticlimactic. It lasted all of five minutes.