Is New Girl smarter than I think it is? On the surface, the show looks like it blowing it’s “two of our castmembers slowly start to fall in love” wad early like it’s suffering from premature infatuation. We’ve spent most of the episodes in this young season pairing Jess up with Nick in various situations. Now the show, through CeCe, confronts the idea that Nick could like Jess. At first I was getting concerned but then I thought maybe they know what they are doing. Maybe they are addressing this now so it can be dropped for future episodes only to be revisited when enough time (2-3 seasons) have gone by. I guess it remains to be seen.
Nick asks Schmidt the question that I’ve been wondering since the second episode, “What happened to you?” He seems to be devolving every episode. There are times in the show where Jess (who I am still convinced is an alien) is more believable as a member of the human race as Schmidt. We keep getting all peeks into the mind of Schmidt (mocked at work, grew up fat and might have been ignored by his mother) but instead of improving him as a character, he seems to get worst. While on the roof of the apartment, Jess sums up Schmidt perfectly: “You’re a good guy if you ignore everything that you do on purpose and concentrate on all the things that you do by accident.”
And what about Winston? He’s still no Damon Wayans Jr but his teasing of Schmidt about his inability to “close” with CeCe (or anyone) was the most interesting he’s been all season. He had a lot of great little moments like slapping sunburned Schmidt and trapping him into telling CeCe everything he loved about India. Just like Nick and Jess have great chemistry so do Winston and Schmidt. i just wish we spent more time mixing up the gang. The show is staying in it’s comfort zone going with what they know works (Nick being the straight man to Jess’ weirdness, Schmidt being an epic douche with Winston mocking him) but with five episodes in the books, it’s time to explore new territory
Thoughts and observations:
- I’m glad we’re not doing the full intro song every week.
- I was kind of uncomfortable about the guys discussing their sexual prospects with a girl who is drunkenly passed out. Schmidt, in particular, was exhibiting Dennis Reynolds-like date rapey creepiness.
- It’s kind of weird that Schmidt and Nick (Damon Wayans Jr on Happy Endings, formerly of New Girl) both did fake parkour within six days of each other.
- Everything Schmidt loves about India: Slumdog Millionaire, nann, pepper, Ben Kingsley, the stories of Rudyard Kipling, respect for cows, the Taj Mahal, Deepak Chopra, anyone named “Patel,” monsoons, cobras in baskets, Naveen Andrews, mango chutney, any type of chutney
- “Walter Matthau in Grumpy Old Men. And I could be girl Jack Lemmon!” – Jess’ answer to CeCe asking who her ideal man is
- “I don’t dance. I’m from the town in Footloose.” – Nick
- “Did you see that cleavage? I just wanna get my arm stuck down there…like 127 Hours style?” – Schmidt about CeCe (ew)
- “Sometimes she just calls me up and she’s like ‘Bitch! I love you!’ and then she just hangs up. No other information.” – Jess about CeCe
- “If you tell anyone we held hands, I have two people in my phone that will kill you. Literally.” – CeCe to Schmidt